Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Well, it's been quite awhile since I've updated, and quite a lot has changed...and stayed the same...in politics.

Although I admittedly lean right, which I think may be fairly apparent from my blog, I find myself taking a step back as super Tuesday quickly approaches.

I listened to President Bush's final State of the Union Address Monday night, and I was pleasantly surprised. Admittedly, he has little to no hope of achieving any of his departing wishes with a Democratic Congress and minimal support from the public, yet he said what he felt he needed to say, and even threw a few punches toward the left. With the beating he has endured over the past seven years, I say they were long overdue.

He did not mince words when it came to the war in Iraq, his pride in our military, and his trust in General Petraeus.
We have had a president in office for eight years who had to lead this country through one of the greatest tragedies in American history. He had to make a decision on how to deal with 9/11, and he did just that with compassion and fervor. He also never second guessed his choice and willingly forged ahead.

What was the best possible solution to 9/11 and the perilous situation in Iraq and Afghanistan? I would like to meet the one man or woman who thinks they have that answer.

As for our troops overseas, I thought Bush's statement directed toward them was one that they, as well as Congress, needed to hear.

"This evening, I want to speak directly to our men and women on the frontlines. Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, and Coast Guardsmen: In the past year, you have done everything we have asked of you, and more. Our Nation is grateful for your courage. We are proud of your accomplishments. And tonight in this hallowed chamber, with the American people as our witness, we make you a solemn pledge: In the fight ahead, you will have all you need to protect our Nation. And I ask the Congress to meet its responsibilities to these brave men and women by fully funding our troops."

There's no better way to show our support for our troops than by providing them with what they need from artillery to a wash cloth.

I pray for our troops every single day, and now I pray for a leader for our nation that will find a way to lessen the demand for our services in Iraq and Afghanistan without erasing the accomplishments our troops have achieved. I also pray for a leader who understands the severity of the threats against our country and is willing to continue to fight those who want to hurt the people of this free country.

November 2008 is going to be the most important election in my lifetime, and I am proud to say that I will be able to cast my vote toward the candidate who I believe will fulfill my dreams as an American citizen, and support our military who allowed and granted me that privilege.

Transcript of the 2008 State of the Union Address

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What was the best possible solution to 9/11 and the perilous situation in Iraq and Afghanistan? I would like to meet the one man or woman who thinks they have that answer.

You must be as stupid as Bush for wondering what the best solution was and not seeing that it wasn’t the choices Bush’s’ Dad has made. And I must be just as stupid for answering this.
First off, it wasn’t needed to go to war with a country where we didn’t find the people responsible for 9/11. Second, we could have held the people responsible for 9/11, I believe we all know who that was and still don’t want them according to the actions of this administration. What agenda do they have, and does anyone know? I'd like to meet the one man or woman who thinks we have held them responsible for their actions by spending/giving our money to the politicians who abuse our trust with it. Instead, Bush has made the American people realize how corrupt this government is for their own gain. Compromising every American by having us endure the mistakes Bush has admitted to and refusing to correct any wrong he has done. He is the worst President in my opinion and a 3rd grader could have done better at decision making if asked the 2 choices. War, or get a small group and hold them responsible making future groups so afraid of us they wouldn’t think of doing that kind of thing to us again. And not give it a keyword of terror, but make the group responsible really know the word terror.

Jannie Funster said...

I guess we could have just sat back and done nothing and although I believe this world is better off for how George Bush has handled things... the truth of the matter is a child's personality and future are formed by the time they reach 3 and hate that's bred cannot be undone.

Bush is a well-meaning man. Even Clinton and the U.N. said there were WMDs. And we've all seen the film of an Iraqui official saying that 27 truckloads with the WMDs went to Syria 2 days before Shock and Awe 2.

It's sad we all can't get along but when you are brought up to hate, that's all you know.

Are you registered to vote?